The 194th Annual Swedenborgian Convention
July 1st – 5th in San Jose, CA
San Jose State University
“Do You Know the Way?” The Year of the New Jerusalem
Registration now open! Registration form can be found here.
Convention is the yearly gathering of the independent Swedenborgian societies from across the country. In addition to conducting denomination-wide business, the convention is also an opportunity for Swedenborgians to touch base and generally enjoy each other’s company. Since the convention will take place in our own back yard this year (San Jose), we encourage SFSC members & friends to participate!
- Keynote presentation by Curtis Childs, the digital media producer for the Swedenborg Foundation and founder and director of “Off The Left Eye” YouTube channel.
- 12 fascinating mini-courses including some familiar presenters:
“Exploring Swedenborg’s Life and Times in Sweden” with Dr. Devin Zuber and Colin Amato
“Swedenborg and Bay-Area Environmentalism” with Dr. Devin Zuber
- “Swedenborg and New Discoveries in Cosmology” with Rev. Dr. Rachel Rivers
- “Swedenborg as Spiritual Duct Tape: A look into the diverse and potent ways Swedenborg’s ideas affect people online” with Curtis Childs
- Ordination of Cory Bradford-Watts (our intern in 2017) and Rachel Madjerac (from our 2017 Christmas Eve services) on July 3rd
- A family-friendly Fourth of July outing and picnic.
The first convention was held in 1817 in Philadelphia, though Swedenborg’s writings were circulated around a newly-established United States since 1784. His teachings became quite popular in the burgeoning country, even attracting notice of the Founding Fathers George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Benjamin Franklin. So, holding Convention over Fourth of July bears special significance for modern-day Swedenborgians!
Registration packages include room and board, “board only”, or day passes with option for the 4th of July excursion. Volunteer opportunities available for a reduced rate, contact Samantha Johanson (denomination operations manager) at email@example.com
All those interested are welcome to attend for one or all five days. Please register at www.swedenborg.org/
More information about the Convention can be found in the most recent editions of The Messenger, viewable online here.